Wednesday 19 September 2012

Charlotte's Pool - Charlotte's Family

As regular readers will know, I have been spending quite a lot of time researching, writing about and painting around the subject of Charlotte White (nee Smyth) of Berechurch Hall.  

Last week, I met with Reg Johnson, who wrote a fascinating book on the history of Berechurch Hall.  He arranged for me to meet some of Charlotte's living descendents.  

How I came into contact with Reg was a strange string of coincidences.  I told my Dad about my research for my story, he told my great uncles, and my great uncle and auntie told me they knew the location of Charlotte's pool.  We went in search of the pool without success but we did make contact with a string of people, who led me to Reg's book and, therefore to Reg.  

Reg is an amazing historian, whose research on Berechurch Hall is extensive and impressive.  He showed me many interesting documents and images pertaining to Berechurch Hall and the families who have lived there.  Charlotte's descendents were lovely - really friendly.  They found Reg through a similar string of coincidences.  It seems that someone wanted us all to find each other.

Reg also told me the location of Charlotte's pool and I am hoping to find it soon.  

If you are interested in reading Reg's book, there are two copies available for loan in the Local Studies area of Colchester Library. 



To purchase a copy of 'Charlotte -The Lady in White' a novel based on the Life of Charlotte White, nee Smyth, please click the link below



No comments:

Post a Comment