Tuesday 7 August 2012

Charlotte's Pool, Colchester

Charlotte's Pool, Colchester

It has been a really weird few weeks.  My writing group is producing an anthology with the theme of Colchester.  I decided to investigate the life of a young lady called Charlotte Smyth (married name White) who lived in Berechurch Hall, Colchester in the early 19th Century.  Her father built her a beautiful grotto in the Lethe Grove area, which was closely linked in with the stories told about her.  She died young and since her death, there have been numerous sightings of her ghost in various locations around the estate.

It became clear to me early on that there had to be truth to the strange stories, when my hair was stroked as I sat in an empty room.  A whole range of odd events took place over the time I was researching, which made writing the story all the more interesting.   Charlotte was definitely still around and really made her presence felt in a very positive and friendly way.

I spent hours in the library researching and went on numerous field trips around the former grounds of Berechurch Hall (in so much as it is possible to gain access to them these days!)  I discovered all manner of interesting things, met fascinating people and was shocked at the coincidences which seemed to lead me down this path.

It was just what I needed.  I have had the worst case of writer's block imaginable since February, so to produce a short story felt like a massive achievement.

I can't reveal too much about my story at this stage but I am excited about submitting it for the anthology soon. 



 The beautiful monument to Charlotte, which is in the Audley Chapel at St Michael's Church.

To purchase a copy of 'Charlotte -The Lady in White' a novel based on the Life of Charlotte White, nee Smyth, please click the link below


No comments:

Post a Comment